Learning Modality: Self-paced
Date: Available online all year
Duration: Approximately 2.5 hours for the 3 core modules required to receive the course certificate. Users may move through the optional thematic modules at their own pace.
Tuition fee: Open access until June 2017
This course aims to develop and/or strengthen awareness and understanding of gender equality and women’s empowerment as a first step towards behavioral change and the integration of a gender perspective into everyday work for all UN staff at headquarters, regional and country levels.
It provides an introduction to the concepts, international framework, and methods for working toward gender equality and women’s empowerment. It also offers users the opportunity to make links between gender and specific thematic areas such as work; education; political participation; emergencies; peace and security; sexual and reproductive health; sexual and gender diversity and human rights; and violence against women.
Three core modules provide a common denominator for all UN system staff:
- Gender concepts to get started;
- International frameworks for gender equality; and
- Promoting gender equality throughout the system. This module includes an introduction to the UN gender architecture and strategies to address the challenges to advancing gender equality and the empowerment of women.
Optional thematic modules can be accessed after the user completes the core modules. Some of these were developed in collaboration with partner agencies as identified below:
- Women´s economic empowerment (UN Women)
- Women’s leadership and decision-making (UN Women)
- Violence against women and girls (UN Women)
- Gender equality in the world of work (ILO)
- Gender equality and education (UNESCO)
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights (UNFPA)
- Gender equality in emergencies (WFP)
- Women, peace and security (UN Women)
- Trade and Gender Equality (UNCTAD)
- Gender and Sustainable Industrial Development (UNIDO)
Upcoming thematic modules include:
- Sexual and gender diversity and human rights (OHCHR and UNAIDS)
- Gender Equality and Volunteerism (UNV)
- Gender Equality and Migration (OIM)
To ensure knowledge on gender issues is translated from theory to practice, I Know Gender: How-To Series has been developed. The series includes the following modules:
- Gender Equality Markers (UN Women)
- Gender Equality and Sustainable Project Management (UNOPS)
Approximately 2.5 hours for the 3 core modules required to receive the course certificate. Users may move through the optional thematic modules at their own pace.
All UN System staff and others who are interested to learn about gender issues
Partner agencies which contributed optional thematic modules for the course include: ITC-ILO, OHCHR, UNAIDS, UNCTAD, UNESCO, UNFPA, UNV, WFP. Additionally, the following agencies participated in the peer review where consensus was reached on core modules and content: ESCWA, FAO, IAEA, IFAD, IOM, ITC-ILO, OHCHR, UNAIDS, UNDP, UNESCO, UNFPA, UNICEF.
A Portable Document Format (PDF) viewer and Flash software is needed in order to view the course. Please note that the course will open in a separate pop-up window, therefore please ensure that pop-up blockers are de-activated. The participant will need a set of headphones or speakers as the course includes audio throughout the entire course.