Joint Declaration by DCAF and the UN Women Training Centre
DCAF and the UN Women Training Centre are pleased to announce the release of the Spanish edition of the Gender and Security Sector Reform Toolkit - a comprehensive resource providing information and analysis on gender and security sector reform.
The publication of the Gender and Security Sector Reform Toolkit in Spanish makes the knowledge on gender and SSR accessible to national, regional and international actors involved in gender and security issues in the Spanish-speaking world. The toolkit is designed to be used by policymakers, security officials, civil society organizations, researchers and practitioners and is written in a practice-oriented, accessible language.
The integration of a gender perspective in security institutions and policies has become an integral aspect of the provision of human security, the establishment of the rule of law, and the basis for sustainable development goal 5 (“Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls”) and 16 (Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels”). With the Spanish edition of the Toolkit, DCAF and the UN Women Training Centre provide the development community with a knowledge base of principles, concepts, and practices to advance towards those goals.
Originally published in English in 2008 by DCAF, UN-INSTRAW (now part of UN Women) and the Office of Democratic Institutions and Human Rights of the OSCE (OSCE-ODIHR), the Toolkit has been translated to French, Russian, Montenegrin, Arabic and Bahasa-Indonesia already and used in all geographic regions.
- Sets out why gender is important to human security.
- Presents practical strategies to integrate gender into security reform.
- Suggests gender-responsive security policy approaches.
- Provides material from which to develop training on gender issues.
- Compiles international laws and standards on gender relevant to security.
The toolkit includes the following Tools and Practice Notes:
- Security Sector Reform and Gender;
- Police Reform and Gender;
- Defence Reform and Gender;
- Justice Reform and Gender;
- Penal Reform and Gender;
- Border Management and Gender;
- Parliamentary Oversight of the Security Sector and Gender;
- National Security Policy-Making and Gender;
- Civil Society Oversight of the Security Sector and Gender;
- Private Military and Security Companies and Gender;
- SSR Assessment, Monitoring and Evaluation and Gender;
- Gender Training for Security Sector Personnel;
- Implementing the Women, Peace and Security Resolutions in Security Sector Reform; and
- Annex on International and Regional Laws and Instruments related to SSR and Gender
- User guide
To access the toolkit click here.