The UN Women Training Centre and the UN System Coordination Division is proud to present the first module of the I Know Gender: How-To Series titled “Implementing Gender Equality Markers”. Gender Equality Markers serve as a tool to track trends in investments made by organizations in gender equality and women’s empowerment outcomes. This module on Implementing Gender Equality Markers provides a solid introduction to gender equality markers – what they are, what they can and cannot measure and how to establish a gender equality marker in your entity (including dealing with challenges).
Gender Equality Markers play numerous important roles, they can, for example:
- Increase the accountability for investments in gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Be used to communicate and illustrate insights related to the underfunding of gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Be an important communication tool
- Support increased funding/investments in gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Help to document if an entity is successfully implementing a gender mainstreaming strategy
- Increase mainstreaming capacities in an entity
The module “Implementing Gender Equality Markers” provides a variety of examples (good practices and lessons learned) that help elaborate on the experiences of UN entities to date. This module is addressed to business owners or staff responsible for the implementation of gender equality marker systems within UN entities. This could include finance and budget staff, gender equality focal points, gender equality specialists, management, among others.
I Know Gender: How-To Series is a new series of modules from the I Know Gender online self-paced course designed to ensure knowledge on gender issues is translated from theory to practice.