Training for gender equality is an essential component for UN Women’s commitment to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment.
Vision: To become the leading UN centre that contributes, through training for gender equality, to building a society that respects and promotes human rights for all women and men.
Mission: The Training Centre is dedicated to supporting the UN and other stakeholders to realize commitments to gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s rights through transformative training and learning.
Training for gender equality is a transformative process that aims to provide knowledge, techniques and tools to develop skills and changes in attitudes and behaviours. It is a continuous and long-term process that requires political will and commitment of all parties in order to create an inclusive, aware and competent society to promote gender equality.
It is a strategy to effect individual and collective transformation towards gender equality through consciousness raising, empowering learning, knowledge building, and skill development. Training helps men and women to build gender competence and acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for advancing gender equality in their daily lives and work. Training for gender equality is part and parcel of delivering our commitments to equal human rights for all.
The TC approach to training for gender equality is guided by key international normative instruments, in particular:
- Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW)
- Beijing Platform for Action
Watch a short video to learn more about the Training Centre:
Training Centre Services:
- Technical assistance: content development, design, implementation, documentation, evaluation, and participatory methodologies to develop courses and training resources
- Quality Standards in Training for Gender Equality in partnership with leading institutions
- Periodic needs assessment on learning and training
- Learning facilities to conduct face-to-face training
- eLearning Campus for online training
- Databases of training institutions, opportunities and resources
- Custom-made training upon request
- Training courses available on a continuous and/or scheduled basis
Courses upon request:
The Training Centre offers support in the coordination of the following courses:
- Looking within: Understanding masculinity and Violence Against Women and Girls.
The course aims to provide reflexive space for men and women to deepen understanding on and reflect upon gender practices, masculinities, power system and hierarchies, and implications on violence against women and girls; and to challenge harmful masculine norms, practices, and status-quo as a first step toward personal change.
- Training of Trainers: Working on the Migration-Development Nexus from a Gender Perspective:
This course aims to provoke thinking and action around migration and development from a gender and rights-based perspective, bringing to the fore the gender dimensions of migration, remittances from a gender perspective, feminization of migration for care work, and migrant women’s rights.
- Empowering UN System Gender Focal Points:
This course aims to strengthen capacity of UN System gender focal points in their specific role and functions in advancing gender equality within their own organizations. It also promotes the building of a community to encourage discussion and sharing of good practices.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
- Who can take our courses?
The TC serves government counterparts, the UN system, UN Women staff, civil society organizations, and individuals around the world interested in gender equality.
- How much do courses cost?
Price listings and information on scholarships are available upon request.
- How do I find out what courses are being offered?
Consult the course catalogue and calendar.
- Are the courses set programmes or can the Training Centre customize a programme to suit my organization's training needs?
While some courses are only delivered as open courses, others can be customized to respond to specific learning needs, times and settings of each agency or organization.
- How much time do I have to complete a course?
Each course has a different time estimate. Please check the course description to see time approximation.
- Can I do my online training on an iPad or iPhone?
This depends on the course. Some of our online training is Adobe Flash-based which is not currently supported by either the iPhone, iPad or Android OS devices. It will work, however, on other tablets supporting Adobe Flash.
- Do you offer scholarships?
- Who do I contact if I have more questions?
Other Training Centre Platforms:
- Training for Gender Equality Community of Practice
This is a knowledge-sharing platform (available in English, French and Spanish) for trainers and experts on gender equality. It features good practices and innovative tools, promotes information-sharing and inspires discussion on key issues related to training for gender equality.